Hey there, road trip enthusiast! Are you craving an adventure on the open road with jaw-dropping views around every turn? You’ve come to the right place. Pack your bags, grab your keys and gas up the car – it’s time for an epic American road trip. This country is filled with stunning drives that showcase the diverse beauty of our land, from the golden desert capes of the Southwest to the lush greenery of the Pacific Northwest.
We’ve mapped out 10 of the most scenic routes in the US so you can experience the thrill of the drive and savor the scenic wonder along the way. Windows down, music up and adventure calling – the perfect all-American getaway awaits you behind the wheel. What are you waiting for? An unforgettable road trip adventure under the big open skies awaits!
Marveling at Nature’s Wonders on the Pacific Coast Highway
There’s nothing quite like a drive along the Pacific Coast Highway. As one of the most scenic routes in the US, this 655-mile stretch offers jaw-dropping views of the ocean, redwood forests, and dramatic sea cliffs.
Taking in the Sights
Starting near San Diego and ending north of San Francisco, the PCH (as locals call it) showcases some of nature’s finest works. Points of interest along the way include:
- Big Sur, where the Santa Lucia Mountains plunge into the sea. Stop at Bixby Bridge, one of the highest bridges of its kind, for panoramic vistas.
- The massive redwoods of Muir Woods National Monument. Walk among these ancient giants, some over 800 years old.
- Whale watching at Point Reyes National Seashore. Gray whales migrate here from December through May.
- The scenic town of Carmel-by-the-Sea, with its storybook cottages and upscale art galleries.
Tips for Your Adventure
To make the most of this epic road trip:
- Give yourself at least 2-3 days to explore. There are countless scenic overlooks, hiking trails and quaint towns to discover.
- Travel from north to south to have the ocean on your right. The views will blow you away!
- Must-sees like Hearst Castle and the Monterey Aquarium deserve several hours. Plan ahead and arrive early.
- Bring layers, as coastal weather can be unpredictable. And don’t forget your camera—you’ll want to capture every moment!
A drive down this legendary highway is a once-in-a-lifetime experience you’ll never forget. Take the time to pull over often, breathe in the sea air and truly immerse yourself in the natural beauty. The memories will last long after you’ve returned home.
Experiencing the Desert Beauty of Arizona’s Route 89A
Route 89A in Arizona offers some of the most stunning desert scenery in the U.S. This scenic byway winds through oak woodlands, ponderosa pine forests, and desert scrub as it connects Flagstaff to Sedona. Along the way, you’ll find plenty of spots to pull over and soak in the views.
As you continue south, watch for the turnoff to Slide Rock State Park, where natural red rock slides formed by Oak Creek are perfect for swimming and sunbathing on hot summer days. The creek’s mineral-rich waters flow through a narrow canyon, creating natural slides and pools.
Sedona’s Stunning Red Rock Formations
Once in Sedona, you’ll be surrounded by some of the most breathtaking sandstone formations in the U.S. Stop at any of the viewpoints along the 89A to gaze at the massive red rock buttes and spires rising up from the high desert. Some top spots include Red Rock Crossing, Chapel of the Holy Cross, and Crescent Moon Picnic Area.
With dramatic cliffs, massive buttes, vibrant wildflowers, and starry night skies, Route 89A showcases the diversity of landscapes in northern Arizona. Whether you have a day or a week, this scenic drive is guaranteed to spark your sense of wonder.